Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In My Bag: The Third Trimester and L&D

Sweet little babes! What in the world would we do without them?

Actually, I can think of more than a handful of things. Like spending all Saturday morning sipping coffee at Starbucks, reading the newspaper and chatting with my husband, to be followed by a no-rush two-hour workout at the gym, where I can catch up on all the gossip magazines and Bravo shows, then spend as long as I want in a hot shower and get gussied up in my pre-baby skinny jeans, curl my hair, and head out for a yummy dinner with an ice cold adult beverage. Come home and fall into bed without any notion of what time I might wake up the next day.

And I only have one child. I've pretty much carved out the next 5-7 years of life for babyhood and toddler land.

I don't lament life. My worries are small. Either way, I will admit that the reward is worth the effort. But the effort can take its toll on even the most resilient.

I have gladly hit the third trimester of my second pregnancy. I'll admit this one's been tough. They say every pregnancy is different, but somehow I didn't expect it from my body. Serves me right.

Being pregnant with my daughter was a breeze. This time I've had pain. Lots of pain and discomfort. You name a body part, I've probably had it there. More weight gain, less sleep, and I will spend the remainder of my pregnancy in winter. The darkness and cold has really put a damper on my pregnancy "glow."

I'm trying to take it one day at a time. I was sad to see pregnancy go last time. This time, I'm not holding my breath.

And yet, one of my favorite things about planning for a baby is, indeed, planning! For type-A organization freaks like myself, nesting is so fulfilling. I can find a reason to plan for anything. Honoring that intrinsic need to nest, I have been making lists for the third trimester and for my L&D. Here are the things in my "bag" in the last trimester and at the hospital:

8 Third Trimester Essentials

  1. Whole Foods 365 Electrolyte Enhanced Water. I have terrible taste and smell sensitivity during pregnancy, so much so that even water turned me off. And what does a pregnant woman need more than water? So when my husband brought several huge bottles of this home for me one day, I was hooked. It had zero taste and electrolytes, which most pregnant women need a bit more of anyway.
  2. Heating Pad. Like this one from Sunbeam is what I look forward to cozying up with in my bed each night. With the back pain I've had, this is perfect for taking the edge off and putting me right to Zzzzz.
  3. Tongue Scraper/Cleaner. Like this Orabrush one I picked up at Target. My taste aversion was at its height in my first and second trimesters. This helps rid of bad tastes in your mouth from bacteria and food remnants after eating and drinking.
  4. A Pea in the Pod Maternity Leggings. These have been my favorite leggings so far. With my first, I had this pair from Pea in the Pod and this BeMaternity pair from Target. They worked because it was summer by the time I needed maternity clothes, so I barely wore them. The pair in the first link are thicker, stay in place better and still come at a decent price.
  5. Panty Liners. I honestly have not used these, mostly for comfort reasons. And really, this is TMI, but in your third trimester, and especially on your second or third child, leaks happen. It's so embarrassing. I honestly didn't realize how bad it was going to be until the first time it happened to me. Either way, it's your call, but if you know you might be laughing a lot...
  6. Basics Women's Felicity Slimming Nursing Cami from Target. I have this in black and white. I wore it during my first pregnancy, throughout 15 months of nursing, and now I am in them again. They are super comfortable, easy to use, slimming and have a reliable shelf bra for those who need a little support when not wearing a bra. 
  7. Pillows. I've never used a maternity body pillow. Although they look nice, multiple pillows have worked for me. I typically use four, and my poor husband has slowly lost his. I think he's down to one now. I put two at my head, one at my back and one between my legs. I like plain 'ol pillows because they are more pliable and mobile than one giant pillow.
  8. Garden of Life Oceans Mom DHA Soft Gels. Brain development is ramping up in the third trimester, and whether or not studies prove the use of DHA makes a difference, why not? Also, I don't like fish all that much right now. I also liked these from the Honest Company. They are more expensive, but I think better purity-wise.

10 Labor & Delivery Essentials

  1. Slippers. I don't think I wore anything else on my feet in my first few months home with my daughter but a pair of slippers like these from DSW. This Christmas, my husband gave me a pair of Sonoma Sherpa slippers from Kohls, since my others have gotten worn and icky. As soon as I enter my house, they go on my feet. But, hospitals are cold and drafty, and I had to walk back and forth between the NICU and my room for three days. Either way, you will thank me for reminding you to pack some in your bag!
  2. A knee-length, lightweight robe. SOMA makes the best lounge wear, hands down. Just pop in and fill a bag because it's likely what you'll want to wear only that for the next few months. The only downside is how pricey they are. This one is similar to what I have. You don't want something dragging on the hospital floor, or getting twisted up in your bed. And if you are breastfeeding, you'll want something light and easy to navigate. SOMA has a nursing line, but even their non-maternity, non-nursing stuff works for before and after birth because it is buttery soft, stretchy, nice-looking and loose.
  3. Overnight bag. No doubt you already knew this. I love looking at all the fun, pretty bags that people take to the hospital, and I will take any reason to buy a new bag. But it's  hard to beat Vera Bradley. I have the Vera Bradley Weekender in Owl, which is a retired print but still available on Overstock. The new version of the weekender has some nice features too. 
  4. Motherlove Nipple Cream. This is honestly an all-purpose goop. I found it to have the best consistency, smell and healing effects than any other lanolin I tried. The ingredients are 100% all natural and organic. It's safe for ingestion. Who wants to wipe off cream every time you nurse? The only drawback I found was that, because its first ingredient is EVOO, it will stain  clothing. I just don't wear my nursing camis without a top/coverup in public. Also try their More Milk Plus/Special Blend capsules for boosting milk supply.
  5. Water Jug With Straw. This water jug was seriously one of my favorite things from the hospital. It was like a ray of light descended upon my room when the nurse brought it to me filled with water and pellet ice. My husband makes fun of me for how much I love it and how gaudy it is. I used it throughout nursing as well. It's 32 oz., and the straw was absolutely necessary. After L&D, you feel like moving as little as possible, and during nursing sessions you do NOT want to spill cold water on a newborn. 
  6. Hanes Women's Boyfriend Hipster Panties. I picked mine up at Target, and I wore them through the end of my first pregnancy and through the first 6 months of my daughters life. The only con was that the elastic around the legs began to wear sooner than I expected. I've found that larger, cotton panties are best post-L&D because you will be wearing heavy pads for bleeding, and you need something that is comfy, breathable and can handle the load. 
  7. Basics Women's Felicity Slimming Nursing Cami from Target. Again, they are super comfy, easy to use, slimming and have a reliable shelf bra for support. 
  8. Breast Pump. I invested in the Medela Pump in Style Advanced with my first because it was highly regarded and I knew I wanted to breastfeed. Either way, I had to use mine at the hospital because my daughter was in the NICU, and I couldn't immediately feed her. Either way, you will have the opportunity to meet with a lactation consultant who will show you how to use your pump, make sure you have all the right pieces in the right sizes, and ensure that your pump is working.
  9. Always Overnight Maxi Pads. Trust me. 
  10. Essential Oils Diffuser. I got mine from Young Living after purchasing an oils kit. But really, most are pretty decent. With my first, I'd made a music playlist and was prepared to sway on exercise balls, etc. All I ended up doing was sleeping, waiting and trying to breath and relax. We diffuse these oils nearly every night before bed: Lavender, Stress Away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive