Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dear Baby Boy,



Any day now we will meet face to face. Oh I know, we've been intimately meshed with each other for nine months. Still, I know very little about you other than your tendency to get rather rowdy, that you will probably be petite like your big sister, and, oh, you are mine and I am your mama. 

It's going to be frightening at first. For both of us. It's going to be cold and loud and bright and busy out here. Even I get overwhelmed sometimes. But don't worry. You're in good hands. 

You see, you were created in the image of a God so strong, so mighty and so full of love that nothing can overshadow it. Your likeness in Him is the path to your greatest fulfillment. You will find joy, peace and wholeness in the development, expression and acceptance of that existence. As for the bright and busy world, I'd like you to know that He has already overcome it. So we're covered there.

But first thing's first: Just get here, safe and healthy and strong. We can't wait to meet you. To love and nurture you. To help you grow and learn. And one day, to set you off into the world to discover what's in store. 

Your daddy and I have a big job ahead. Sometimes it may feel like we are against you. Just ask your sister. But our every effort is for the very best of you - and her. It's OK if you cry and scream and sulk and get mad. One day, you will understand. Either way, we promise to give you space, but always to protect you. 

So here we are, all waiting. With highly charged anticipation. Nothing will ever be the same soon. But all along, my hopes and dreams and prayers for you remain constant -- 

I hope that you have your daddy's patience, kindness, quick wit, optimism, adventurous spirit, honesty and fidelity. I hope you get your sister's empathy, sensitivity, playfulness, imagination and tenacity. 

I hope you inherit your aunts' sociability and carefree spirits, your Abby's generosity, your grandmother's affectionate heart, your papa's drive and your grandpa's conscientiousness. 

I dream you will find someone to love, to share your life with, to build dreams with and start a family of your own with. I dream that you will treat her like a queen, the way your daddy does me. Your daddy and I aren't perfect, but we've got it pretty darn good. I found my soulmate. I dream you'll find yours. 

I dream you will find something you love to do each day, something that fulfills you and gives you purpose. Something you are excited to get up each day and do. Whatever it is, find a way to serve others through it. Put others first. Treat them fairly. Encourage them. Love them.

I pray for a never-ending joy of spirit. When times get tough, we will be there. But a conviction of self is essential to weathering the wilderness. I pray that you will accept Jesus into your heart. That He will grant you courage and wisdom and, most of all, a heart for loving and serving those who are vulnerable, who can't speak for themselves, who feel unwanted and unloved. That you will stand up for them and say to them: You are loved. You are wanted. You matter. And that you will show them the way.

I know this is a lot to take in. You've got a lot of growing to do first. We are so ready. It's gonna be good. No, great. I can't wait to meet you.

P.S. Your sister is pretty tough. But she's got a tender heart. Look out for her. 

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know that this love surpasses knowledge -- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive