Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Is Having Less More?

A dream of mine before having kids was to join the PeaceCorps. Unfortunately, the timing just wasn't right in my life. I will admit that my reason for wanting to do this was part selfish. I wanted to help those most vulnerable, but I also wanted to simplify my life. I was feeling overwhelmed and desensitized by a commercialized society. Too philosophical, I know. But lately, those same feelings have been creeping back.

I've always been a glutton for shopping. And nothing feeds into a shopper's habit like a baby. As a new mom, I felt that my nursery just had to be perfect. My baby needed the best new toys, and the cutest, trendiest clothes. And then why not the healthiest, organic (read: expensive) baby foods? And all the while, we new parents have gotta make it look easy, and keep it all together, so I needed the best baby-wearing, baby-strolling, baby-traveling, baby-lovin' baby gear. Right?

Except, as a new mom, you also quickly learn that all your baby cares about is you - her mom (and dad!) I know mine would be perfectly plum if I just toted her around on my hip all the live long day. But, I digress...

The other day, I went through Sosie's closet - wall to wall with adorable outfits - and realized that she's worn only a handful of them, if that, and once or twice, at most. Many still have tags. Each week, she wears the same onesies and footed pajamas that I pull from one dresser drawer that gets emptied and refilled with new sizes as she grows. Trying to dress her in all those grown, trendy outfits is like wrangling a cat for a bath. After all, she sleeps nearly 50 percent of the day, and aren't pajamas for sleeping?

The closet got me thinking about how very fortunate we are to have all that we do. Just writing that makes me realize how seldom I stop to thank God for all He's given my family, despite how very little we need. And yet, I complain many days about how cluttered our house is as if the clutter fairy paid a visit and suddenly it all appeared.

How silly. 

Yes, how silly that I scour web sites weekly for something new to fill my house, my closet, Sosie's closet, even though I have an excess of sometimes barely worn, clothes, bags, shoes, accessories. And while Sosie will look darned cute in those outfits hanging in her closet (if I ever get around to putting them on her), will she remember wearing them or what fantastic baby things she had? I know that what will remain with her is her holding, rocking, cuddling, kissing, laughing, loving, playing, smiling, singing mommy and daddy.

What if, I pondered, I stopped looking for the next new thing and started enjoying the ones I already have?  Not to mention the fleeting moments in which my baby is growingupsofast. (When did I get a seven month old?) We as a society go through so many things because we need the latest version or upgrade, the shiniest, newest, less worn. What is so wrong with a little wear and tear? Even diamonds need a little rubbing to bring out the shine. A little wear and tear is what molds us into wiser, stronger, more patient and empathetic people. These same rules can be applied to my things. I needed to love 'em out.

I've challenged myself not to spend a dime on frivolous "wants" this summer (ahem ... entire summer 2013 Lilly Pulitzer collection!). It's not going to be easy. We've got a trip to Mexico coming, and don't you know I "need" some lovely new outfits for the excursion? I've already flipped through several magazines and catalogued items into the "must purchase" section of my brain. Then I forlornly threw the magazine away. 

You may be asking, "Why?" and probably with the same quizzical look I've gotten for years when someone discovered I was vegetarian. That's OK. When I looked into the mirror today, I give myself the same look.

But I need a lesson in less. Things are not part of my life's purpose. Rather it is to honor God and love people. Sorry, Lilly.


“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be." 








1 comment:

Blog Archive