Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Forest for the Trees (Month Four)


"Sleeps like a baby"

I don't know who started this saying or how it got popular, but I really have a beef with them for instilling a false sense of security in expecting mothers. Don't get me wrong. Sosie is a fine sleeper. Once you get her there. I have every sleep book out there, and I've read them all. And I still don't have a clue!


Sosie  has "slept through the night" (7-9  hours) since week five thanks to swaddling. And she takes pretty decent naps that run 1-3 hours, whether it's in arms or in her crib (again...tightly swaddled). But how were we to know that babies actually don't WANT to sleep. After all, there are too many exciting things going on in their new world.

As of late, our sleeping habits have been touch and go. Be it a wonder week, growth spurt, onset of teething or whatever, she began waking at 5 a.m. two weeks ago, and then, for a few days, it became every 3 hours. As of this post, we've had two wonderful nights of 8-9 hours (knock on wood).

Thank goodness because
  1. I needed some doggone sleep!
  2. I needed to hit the gym, and early morning seems to be the only time I can do that.
  3. I didn't want this to become habit that waking up = mom + food + fun! yay!
Anyway, we've got bigger fish to fry, including swaddle weaning and transitiong to the crib for ALL sleep.

Milestones

Yes, we have escaped the dreaded colic. It was around two months that things SLOWLY began improving. This is where the "forest" comes in. At six weeks, I really couldn't see the forest for the trees. I felt like they were toppling down on me. But around eight weeks, I began to catch glimpses of its beauty. Although I didn't believe it, it is true that at three months everything changed. Suddenly, I had this bright, smiley baby. I gotta give it to her though, the girl's got spunk, tenacity. You know it from the moment you meet her. This could only mean one thing... watch out, dad.

Because she was born on her due date, she tends to always be right on time in terms of "doing things." I thought pushing up was going to take for-ever. It wasn't her favorite, but now, at exactly the 4-month mark, she's begun to be super fab at pushing up to look around. 

Tummy time!

She's been babbling and "blowing raspberries" for a month or so, but about a week ago she began imitating my sounds and actions. I pucker my lips out and "roll" or vibrate them, and this, it seems, is her lifelong goal (for now). This morning, as soon as she woke up and saw me, she began doing this, as if to say, "Look Mom! I practiced in my sleep!" Forget consonants... let's make fun sounds! It's super cute.

Her other big things seem to be cause and effect. Around 3 months she learned that if she pressed the button on her music box, it made sounds. She would work her hand into a little fist and jab at the button. She's also learned how to turn the page when we read books and how to drop things fby releasing her hands. Oh those hands! Constantly in her mouth, and thereby, anything in her hands is also in her mouth. I do not get this fascination. She won't take a paci. I look forward to the day that her hands are busy doing too much to be in her mouth and/or something else replaces them!

Small fry

I was worried at first. I often get surprised looks when I tell people how old she is and have had people ask me if she was a preemie. At (just under) 4 months, we weighed 11.4 pounds. We've been on a steady track of a pound a month, but doc says that is great as long as she's gaining on her curve. She was also 24 inches, which put her around 50% height-wise. So while we aren't filling out our clothes, Sosie is growing too long for them. I am fine with this obviously, because I love putting new things on her! 

Things to come

We've got our very first birthday parties in late March and April! I really look forward to each month as she becomes more aware of things. And these parties should be so much fun as she'll be a bit older.

Abby (Grandma Staed) comes to visit at Easter! It will be nice for family to see her as we don't have any out here - oh, except for fun cousin Beth, who brings us books, pretty clothes and, oh yes, giant green frogs!!

Brunch with cousin Beth!




















In May, we set out for Bolder Boulder. I was naive to believe that I would resume running immediately after Sosie was born and beat my best BB time from 3 years ago. It's not working out that's been hard, it's finding time to workout, especially when it's been a very cold winter here and it's dark by 5. Nonethless, the hubs entered me into the Memorial Day race. So while I will miss being in those competitive early waves, I can't wait to run it this year and to take Sosie on her first real trip! Bonus: Grandma Martin may come to visit for this trip!

Other Happenings

In January, we flew to Virginia to have Christmas with family. I was extremely nervous about this trip, to the point that we nearly canceled. But, Sosie was a doll and slept on all four plane rides. It was still a big undertaking, but we got through it and had fun!

In daddy's bassinet 
Bath time with grandma
At the airport!


With Grandma and Grandpa


We think we're a big girl. Forget bottles!
Aunt Michelle came to visit

First snow!

Grandpa Bishop came to visit!
Aunt Jenny came to visit


Garden of the Gods with Daddy

What Mothers Do...

"Motherhood can be a great leveler. When mothers are faced with a crying newborn, the usual social difference among them vanish. Wealth, power and success, and often race and ideology, suddenly seem unimportant. What counts is the sharing of motherly experience. This is the moment when one mother can give such invaluable support to another. When mothers value each other, they do not resort to competitive conversations, and their generosity to each other seems boundless." ~What Mothers Do Especially When It Looks Like Nother, Naomi Stadlen

It's hauntingly true. Becoming a mother opened me up to a world of sisters. There is an unseen thread that links mothers to one another. They understand. They've been there. And they will be there for you when you need them. You can share a look and know they know.

It's not just YOU that changes after baby. The whole world changes. You become more connected. More aware. Things are more salient. 

 It's not easy being a mom, but it's fiercely wonderful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive