Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Little Monster

Sosie at 10 days old!

My Little Monster 

My husband hates that I call her that. I hear those first few coos of awakening (when it's not outright screaming/crying wakening), and I will say, "Uh oh, the little monster is waking up!" At first, I thought that there was no way I would share my experience with anyone, but I am beginning to feel compelled - both for my sanity and inner peace and for anyone else out there who may be going through the same thing. Let me explain...

Sosie had a precipitous birth, which means she came out too fast, and the water in her lungs did not get squeezed out. So she was rushed to the NICU, and I lost all immediate bonding time with her, and did not get to really start "getting to know" her until 4 days later. For three days, I watched as my baby lay helpless on a table with a gazillion tubes and wires strapped to her everywhere! It was heartbreaking. I was exhausted, emotional, angry, sad, tired. I didn't even really know my baby. When she was released, we were ecstatic. I wanted to go home and snuggle and coo with my little bundle. Only that's not what happened...

Colic? Reflux? Allergy?

For the first two weeks, Sosie screamed night and day. I was completely shell shocked. I thought babies were easy going, slept a lot and cried only when they were wet, dirty or hungry. It was a cry like no other that she had. She wanted to be held 24/7, and she still does. And yet, she still cries while you hold her. But I am getting ahead of myself.

There are so many thing that can be hurting a newborn... allergies to foods you are eating, stomach issues, reflux, overtiredness, overstimulation, sinuses, OMG.... I was scouring the Internet for answers. So we went to the doctor and said, "What gives?" He gave us baby Zantac, and so we've tried it. I went on an elimination diet, cutting out dairy, soy, nuts, wheat, gassy foods, eggs, shellfish, etc., etc. Whether this has helped or not is still questionable. In reality, babies are sensitive to just about every food there is. We tried a formula for a couple feedings as directed by the doctor, but she got diarrhea. And it felt totally WRONG feeding her formula when I had perfectly good milk in my boobs for her. I sat in my chair crying as she sucked from the bottle, thinking "This is just not right." I missed the bonding. 

Recently we went to a pediatric GI doctor, so is suggesting the same thing - formula. From there, we can identify if its an allergy, and then we can go back to breastfeeding and try to cut out as much as possible... Well I am already doing that. So what's the point if you aren't up for giving up breastfeeding?

Sosie will be 5 weeks old Saturday. She continued to cry 50% of the time, and I cry along with her. It's heartbreaking to watch your little one so unhappy for whatever reason you'll never know. You lose every moment of free time ... today, will I be able to shower, eat, sleep, brush my teeth? Forget exercise or shopping or reading or hobbies or your favorite show. And without having family nearby, it's 10x harder. There's no one to come babysit or give you a break or whatever. Some friends have offered their help, and yes, I take it, but there's more guilt in handing over your colicky/separation anxiety-filled baby to a stranger than to grandma! 

And my poor husband is trying to give me those little break for myself to shower or go to yoga once a week or the store for a few odds and ends. But he is exhausted from playing cook and maid and babysitter and provider and supporter. When she wakes up screaming at 4 a.m., he wakes up too. Sadly, it makes me feel better almost to see him walk in the nursery wondering why she's still screaming during her nighttime diaper change.... because it reminds me that I am not alone. But I do wish he got more sleep.

Hope

But then... yes, there are bright moments. 

She loves lying in her crib staring at lights and her mobile. She'll do this for 30 minutes or so. She loves hearing running water, new voices. She loves the feeling of the cold winter air. She smiles here and there, and has laughed a couple of times in some transient sleep. She coos. She has the biggest eyes, and she will just stare and observe. She loves the sound of rattles. And the biggest blessing of all... for now... she sleeps at night! ::Knock on wood::

I have read "The Happiest Baby..." and "Baby Wise". Will they work for my baby? Probably not. I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that I have a "high-needs" baby. I am now reading "The Fussy Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. At least they validate and glorify her "difficult" traits and don't necessarily try to fix them. These early months feel like a lifetime when you are dealing with a baby like Sosie, and even when I go back to work, I don't know what her needs will be, or if they will be the same or better. She may not do well in a daycare setting. I don't know. Time will tell. 

"This too shall pass."

And that's what everyone keeps telling me ... give it time. While you want to embrace that phrase, it's so hard to do. And so we continue to bounce and cry and rock and sway and cry and play or stare at lights and listen to David Gray and soothing sounds and cry together. When I went to the pediatric doctor, I was amazed when the receptionist commented on how "upset" my baby was in her car seat. I mean, 1) she hates her car seat, and 2) she does this all the time! why do you think I am here? Of all people, I expected some understanding from the GI office. Because I am beginning to understand myself that THIS is how my baby is. She still cries because of a wet or dirty diaper or if she's hungry, but then she cries or whimpers most of the time when nothing else but the unknown could be wrong. 

She is cuddled and held and cared for and loved. Beyond that, only God knows what else she needs. And I pray that he gives me and my husband strength, patience, peace and knowledge to be able to care for her as best we can.

It's tough when the stories of other babies "like yours" are few and far between. And it's comforting when you do meet those who can relate and want to confide and support you through it. Because it's the HARDEST THING YOU'LL EVER DO. PERIOD. I am learning to let go of my needs and wants. I am learning to be selfless. I keep telling myself God doesn't give you more than you can handle, and I know this because he never has, and I am still alive and breathing and so is she!

Change

They told me. But I never expected my life to change like it has. Like it will. Her helplessness gives me hope and strength. It's the weirdest thing to say, I know. But at her weakest point, I feel the strongest. Because I know she needs me. That little (big) bump I carried for 9 months... here she is. She is going to change you. Forever. For the good and bad. You are either in, or you're out. But you've gotta be in. 

XOXO

Becca



5 comments:

  1. ((hugs)) for you, Becca! Vincent was pretty high-needs as a baby, too. He didn't sleep through the night until he was two years old, had reflux/allergy issues which cause night-time congestion, etc. The first year was tough... really tough. And while I'm thankful for the loving, wonderful child I have now, the newborn stage firmly robbed me of the desire to have any more children. You're not alone, and it's great that you're writing down your feelings/thoughts here. You need an outlet to vent because it's so stressful to be living it when you have limited support. There is so much trial and error that you'll go through and everyone will have a suggestion/solution that may or may not work. But it sounds like you're up for the challenge. I commend your spirit and good attitude. Sosie will feed of that energy and hopefully in a couple months, she'll have adjusted a little better and you can both cry a little (or a lot) less.

    A few things to add to your list of things to try: co-sleeping (this is ultimately the only way I got any sleep for the first year; Vincent slept in the crook of my arm), vibrating swing/bouncer, and a noise machine with a heart beat sound for her crib.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haley! I hate to say it, but I have thought the same thing about not wanting more children. Ugh. I don't know if I am "up for the challenge" or not, but you sort of have to be right?? Each day I go through being up one moment to down the next to crying with her to laughing at her. I've gotta be strong for her. And I just keep praying that we are in God's hands and His will be done.

      Did you breastfeed, and, if so, did you continue to breastfeed despite allergy/GI issues?? I just feel like formula is not the answer, no matter how bad I want it to be. I can't switch to it emotionally.

      Sosie is a great sleeper, on her own. But I would co-sleep if we had to. But we haven't so far. Did Victor ever sleep on his own? I wonder if she will eventually lose this ability... vibrating swing and bouncer have been a touch and go, but she will only sit in them when she's a) not crying to begin with and b) roughly 15-20 minutes with us right there with her. Noise machine, check. Although the real sounds of rushing water, the hairdryer and such are the biggest calmers!

      Thanks for relating! I only wish more women would talk about it. It's hard, and we shouldn't be trying to pretend it isn't. I love hearing other stories because then I don't feel so alone. =)

      Delete
    2. I exclusively pumped for the first 5 months and then slowly transitioned to formula in his 6th month, and it took us about that long to figure out his allergy. I wasn't eating a ton of dairy then, so it was less noticeable while he was drinking my milk. He would spit up after feedings, but we never put two and two together until I stopped pumping and we put him on formula. Following the switch to dairy-based formula, he developed a full body rash and the vomiting/loose stool got worse, and his pediatrician recommended trying a soy-based formula. We switched to an organic soy formula and the rash cleared up and the vomiting stopped altogether. I'm not very familiar with the early allergy testing; is she old enough to get a blood panel done for allergy testing so see if she is reacting to the dairy? I know sometimes it's not the lactose, but rather the proteins in the milk that causes the reaction. In the last 6 months, I've eliminated dairy from my diet for personal health reasons, so I understand how much of a challenge it is to accomodate that diet shift. If you run out of meal ideas, www.happyherbivore.com is a great resource for vegan recipes, and then you could just add a meat to the meal if you wanted.

      We started transitioning V to sleeping on his own once he was a year old, and it took until about 18months before we made the full transition. Most of it was waiting for him to be old enough to use a pillow. He slept so much better/longer when he was sleeping on an incline, which the co-sleeping had provided. It then took until he was about 2.5 before he slept through the night. Those first couple nights of full, complete rest were almost scary; like I didn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't waking up at least once a night... I definitely agree, though; I knew then that I had to be up for the challenge with V, but there was no way I was signing up to do it again. After a miscarriage, a high-risk pregnancy, and then two years dealing with no sleep, I was more than ready to have my sanity back! There's a light at the end of the tunnel... it may take a little while to get there, but it's so good when you do!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bec,

    Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. As time goes in, she'll be able to better communicate her needs to you, and this too, shall indeed pass. It always does. Hang in there, and try to stay positive, both for your family and for your own sake.

    Sending hope and prayers.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Sosie is on Zantac but have you tried switching her to Prilosec? Blythe was diagnosed with reflux (which was a given because anytime she had a bottle, it immediately all came back up) and so the doctor put her on Zantac. Well even though it minimized the amount that came back up, she was miserable on it. I'm not sure if it hurt her stomach or what but she screamed uncontrollably while she was on it. The moment I took her off she stopped. So I talked to the doctor and sometimes Zantac doesn't agree with a baby. I know it won't help with everything, but if Zantac isn't working and she is still crying uncontrollably I would look into switching to Prilosec and seeing if that helps a little. Just a suggestion. I know it won't fix everything, but if it can fix a little it might be worth looking into. I was also told to burp her more often to keep the gases from building up. She absolutely hated that (I guess because it hurt) but if you haven't tried it, it worked for us. Good luck and I hope things get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive